Monday, October 17, 2011

Catching Up, MoFo Day 17

Good grief: internet went down for a couple days, then I just plain procrastinated.  Now there's so much to catch up on!

I'll start by saying that for me, personally, Vegan MoFo is going just fantabulously!  In large part because
I'm getting better at ordering food in Korean.  Which means I can ask for the vegan versions of dishes, instead of just picking out the dead animals.  So I'm feeling quite clever about all that, and enjoying eating out here even more.  For example, this is my new favourite, Soondubu:


Specifically, this is Bean Sprout Bibimbap Soondubu.  Which means, rice with bean sprouts (red bowl) and a sizzling bowl of spicy tofu stew (black bowl).  And, of course, all the banchans (side dishes) that come with every Korean meal (little white dishes).  I LOVE soondubu, and, I LOVE that I can now order it without beef, seafood or egg!

Today was another triumph, though not of the food-ordering kind.  Today I finally baked cookies in my convection all-the-buttons-are-in-Korean oven.  And… complete success!  Just to up the ante, I even used a recipe I've never tried before.  I localized it a little though, on account of the ingredients available here.  So I've renamed them Spicy Korean Chocolate Cookies.

Hello dinner!

I did make more than just 6.  I actually made this many:

There would've been a few more, but I taste-tested quite a bit of cookie dough during the process.  Another joy of vegan cooking: you can safely eat the raw dough!

Finally purchased a bottle opener, so we can return the one we "borrowed" from the school 3 months ago.  I know that no one who works there follows this blog, so I can confess that here.  Feels good to get that off my conscience, though I will also confess that I bought the opener primarily because of the packaging.


Note the fine print on the label:
My thoughts exactly…??

I continue to think that, once my Korean improves, I should seek employment in marketing as a translator here.  Or, maybe that would spoil some of the fun.  In the meantime… Stay in the wine!

The translations may be off, but one thing they really get right here is Autumn.  I took these on my run Saturday morning.





October 15th, and there are still flowers in bloom! That might seem ordinary to some, but to this Calgary-girl, not so much.

I'll end with a quote from vegetarian, Thomas Edison.

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."
        


No comments: