Friday, June 22, 2012

Cure For Jet Lag

Day 1 of summer holidays (which is actually 48 hours in) always brings jet lag. Which I really don't mind so much.  Waking up at silly o'clock
makes me feel like I'm getting more out of my day.  And I do love napping.  So really it's win-win.  Today I used my longer day to eat!  C & I headed out for coffee around 6am, then went for an epic walk around my old 'hood.  By 7:30 we were jonesin' for breakfast. We stopped at Galaxy Diner, which is an institution here in Calgary, and dined with the on-the-way-to-work crowd.  While their menu isn't exactly vegan-friendly, I ordered a combination of sides for a very generous death-by-carbs breakfast.

Did I mention they serve bottomless hashbrowns!?!

Later, I made my first-of-the-summer trip to the grocery store; specifically Community Natural Foods downtown.  Since I'm only in town for 4 days before I have to pack everything onto a plane again, I just picked up the necessities: almond milk, yogurt and cheese.

The cheese didn't make the photo… because I was eating it!

I have missed yogurt SO much since moving to Korea. I've tried to make it myself a few times, with very little success.  I plan to consume unholy amounts of it this summer while I'm home. The soy stuff is everywhere and pretty good, but the best are the almond and coconut milk varieties.

After napping, we took in some of the Sled Island Music Festival taking place right now in town.  Slates, my cousins punk rock band, was playing at Palomino's.

My uber-talented cousin the drummer.

After the show we went to eat! This time we went to Glory of India for… you guessed it, Indian food.  While Glory has long been one of my favourites, C & I both agreed that our Indian feast at Moti Mahal last summer still takes first place.  We'll try some place new next year.

Tomorrow I have another full day of visiting and errands planned. And probably lots of eating too; but I'll try to post pix of something else!






1 comment:

Journaling Life said...

Welcome home! And now you are doing Calgary like a tourist - weird isn't it? I'm looking forward to reading your blog entries especially while you are back in Canada, Angela. Have a marvelous adventure!
Auntie M.